Saturday 18 February 2012

Whole Chicken In The Crock-Pot Who Knew?!


If you are like me you struggle with juggling all the demands of work and family.  Of the latter the biggest thing I struggle with is ensuring that we eat healthy and home made meals as I am very leery of salt and sometimes sugar content of prepared foods.

My sister-in-law is the zen master of family cooking...well cooking in general and taught me this ridiculously simple way to cook a whole chicken.  With a culinary background she is always amazing us and is actually working on a gluten free cook book which is turning out to be a serious page turner!  (More on that later.)  So it was she that convinced me to try the whole chicken in the Crock-Pot, trust me both the butcher and I had bets on it not turning out but we were wrong.

This was ridiculously easy; see for yourself.
1.  She told me to marinate the chicken and keep it in the fridge overnight.  Right, totally didn't happen, threw on some spices and margarine 5 minutes before I put it in the pot.
2.  Lay down in the bottom of the pot some onions, carrots and potatoes (chicken on top)....I didn't have much room so I put some carrots and onions down only.
3.  Absolutely no liquid goes into the Crock-Pot.  Trust me when I tell you this was the most difficult step to follow as I really really thought some liquid should have gone in.  Wrong again.
4.  I kept it in the pot for 7 hours on high (this may vary slightly with your pot so always check it) and the chicken was not only wonderfully moist, it literally fell off the bone.  The first picture above shows the final product with all the natural juices (remember I didn't add any liquid).

I don't think dinner can get any easier than this!

Give it a try and thanks FD, you rock, can't wait for the book!

xox
Dish

No comments:

Post a Comment