Friday 16 March 2012

DIY Ocean/Nautical/Under The Sea Party Cupcake Toppers


I just love how the cupcakes turned out for the party.  They were a hit and the bakery loved the toppers too which is saying a lot in my mind since I am certainly not a professional!! 

I really struggled and pondered how I was going to make the shark fins as paper I thought would just end up absorbing the oils from the icing and eventually look terrible.  I considered the following alternatives: foam, cookies, modelling chocolate, laminated paper etc etc and it was only when walking around the baking supply store that I came up with the answer.

Sugar Sheets by Wilton!!  What the heck are those?!  Anyway I'd never heard of them but I thought I would give them a try as it seemed to be the perfect answer to my problem and they worked fantastically.  See how I made them below. Oh...they tasted good too.



Then the life preservers which I also brainstormed as to how I would create.  I tried a few things (jellies, modelling chocolate etc) but the painting of the life savers certainly was the easiest, least time consuming and least likely for me to mess up.  Big hit. 



Give it a whirl folks. 

xox
Dish

2 comments:

  1. What color Wilton sugar sheet did you use for the shark fin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi FLMommy,

      Hmmmm. If I recall I wanted a light gray but I think I ended up with an off white.

      Hope that helps.
      Xox
      Dish

      Delete