Thursday 12 April 2012

Quick Pasta...What's In Your Fridge?

I thought it was time that I posted another meal and why not whatever I was making for dinner tonight.  I am the Queen of opening my fridge and finding inspiration...well actually its more of a desperate grab to see what I can throw together to make semi appetising.  Usually things turn out okay but I have realised that I fall back on a few simple fundamental tactics to make that happen that I thought worth sharing.

Fundamentals:
1.  I always have in the house fresh garlic, Italian parsley, light (very light) olive oil, jarred sweet red peppers, honey Dijon mustard, grated Parmesan and Romano (in bags in the freezer) and dried pasta.  The others store longer than the parsley but as I hate throwing food away having it in the fridge forces me to use it which is actually a good tactic to get me moving.  In the summer months I do grow the parsley in the backyard...its actually more of a weed at this stage and after the initial planting I have done absolutely nothing to maintain it but alas it's already being clipped for dinners now.
Above in tonight's pasta was olive oil, chopped garlic and parsley, sliced prosciutto and grape tomatoes.  Cook pasta beforehand, drain in cullender, lightly coat with oil and let sit until you are 10 minutes before plating.  Fifteen minutes before you plan to eat lightly saute the above and add the noodles.  Serve with grated cheese (Romano or Parmesan).


2.  I am not afraid.  It surprises me how many people are afraid to cook without a recipe.  Don't be afraid..if it flops so it flops and you'll know for next time but its the fear of making a mistake or "not knowing where to begin" that is stopping you from enjoying cooking.  Literally open the fridge grab what you have and give it a roll (tonight was the tomatoes and prosciutto).  You'll learn quickly what flavors you enjoy together and those which you do not.  I love to cook but I from time to time have some serious mess ups but I only do them once.
3.  The most important fundamental.  Surround yourself with people that appreciate you making the effort and praise you for doing so.  God bless my husband; even if the meal is completely intolerable he still eats it all and says that he enjoys it.  If its really really bad he may make a comment that although the dinner is good, he mentions another dish I make as his favourite but it never stops him from finishing his plate. 

I am very lucky....but he thinks he is too so I guess we're all good....  Getting the kids to eat the disasters is another topic all together...

Happy easy healthy cooking all.

xox
Dish

No comments:

Post a Comment