Here is what a typical "used" lemon looks like for me. No zest (poor thing) and barely any juice to speak of; its perfect!
- Slice a few slices of lemon for garnish.
- Squeeze juice out of lemon being careful to remove the pits.
- Do not discard outer casing but throw them into the pitcher.
- Make a separate mixture of sugar water (here I used 1 teaspoon sugar for every 1 cup water). Usually I use Splenda but its currently on my shopping list.
- Add sugar water to pitcher and top with ice and one garnish. This top garnish makes the pitcher a little more eye pleasing as opposed to the destroyed lemon halves.
Play with the concentration of the sugar until you find your desired sweetness...the above is my personal preference (not too sweet but not terribly tangy).
I hope you enjoy and never discard a 3/4 lemon again!